CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION DEPARTMENT (CID) MANUAL MEGHALAYA
CID will perform the following functions :-
- Investigation of complicated cases or organized crime extending over two or more districts.
- Institution of confidential Enquires into matters of general interest under the direction of the Director General and Inspector General of Police or the State Government.
- Co-operating with the Criminal Investigation Department of other States and exchanging with them information’s on inter-State Crime and Criminals
- Collection of Statistics relating to Crime and Criminals and submission thereof to the Director General and Inspector General of Police, the State Government and other authorities as and when required.
- Giving expert legal advice or guidance in matters referred to it by Superintendents of Police in-charge of districts.
- Publications of the Criminal Intelligence Gazette every month containing information on matters of general interest affecting the prevention and detection of crime.
- Maintaining narcotic Cell.
- Maintaining the SCRB (including F.P.B. and Statistical Cell).
- Maintaining Photographic Cell.
- Maintaining Law and Research Cell.
- Maintaining Dog Squad.
- Maintaining Juvenile Guidance Bureau.
- Keeping Liaison with the Forensic Science Laboratory and other Organization and Departments of the State and the Central Governments, reference to which may be required to be made for purposes of investigation or with organization dealing with juvenile crime, probation, after care, etc.
- Carrying out such other functions as may be assigned to it by Director General and Inspector General of Police or the State Government.
Administration :- Subject to the general control of the Director General and Inspector General of Police, the administration of the Criminal Investigation Department will vest in the Inspector General of Police, CID.
The Inspector General of Police, CID, will be assisted by Dy. Inspector General of Police, CID and Spl. Superintendent of Police, CID.
The Spl. Superintendent of Police, will be responsible for the efficient working of the State CID in all its spheres.
Different Units of the CID :- The State CID will comprise the following units :-
- Crime Investigation Sections;
- Criminal Intelligence Gazette Section;
- Narcotic Cell;
- SCRB (including FPB and Statistical Cell);
- Photographic Cell;
- Dog Squad:
- Juvenile Guidance Bureau;
- Law and Research section;
Submission of Report to the State Government :- The Dy. Inspector General of Police is authorized to submit reports direct to the State Government with copies to the Director General and Inspector General of Police and Inspector General of Police, CID, on all the matters pertaining to Crime in the State. In cases involving matters of administration, service, discipline and policy, however, references should be made to the Director General and Inspector General of Police, and Inspector General of Police, CID.